Re: [Amps] Hipersil, the myth and the truth. (Updated)

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Hipersil, the myth and the truth. (Updated)
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 00:08:54 -0400
Norm,

Really, using the trade name Hipersil is a sales gimmik IMHO. When selling an
amp, one wants the customer to know it has quality construction to sell it. In
a way, it is technically correct to use Hipersil for the name, but if they're
not actually buying the core from the Hipersil owner, I would think it should
be just termed a C-core with M6 material. I cant say who Dahl buys from, but I
would think a U.S. supplier over the price due to freight. However, I know
several other transformer companies who make C-core transformers and dont call
them Hipersil but using the same materials. Actually, if I remember, Alpha, and
Henry, used other vendors for C-cores besides Dahl. Dahl is the only one who
touts using Hipersil, but Hipersil itself is no more as Westinghouse sold that
trade name years ago. I traced this down a few years back and found that a
European manufacturer bought the name and steel line out, I just wish I could
remember their name. I knew I probably wouldn't be buyi
 ng it so I didn't consider it any further as I buy from Magnetc Metals who
have the same alloy. I was trying to think of another vendor in a previous post
besides Core Tran and it was Arnold Engineering I think who makes steel C-cores
too. I also know a guy down in Elizabethtown, Kentucky who makes them and has
done some work for some ARRL projects. They may be listed in the new ARRL
Handbook now, I'm not sure. Ed is the guys name but cant remember the company
right off, some of you might reading this. A friend of mine here was using him
to wind transformers for equipment they build for the transit and mining
industries. I spoke to him a few times and we talked about the ARRL project I
seen they did. It was a plate transformer for someone. You'll know his or
almost anyone elses work because it's not black. Dahl buys a varnish that has a
black dye in it. This supposedly helps take away heat. If it didn't run hot,
why would one need this? It will also hide a bunch of knicks an
 d bangs too! I looked at a large C-core dahl made that wasn't dipped and it
was made like everyone elses right down to the bluish fish paper wrapper. I
have a pic of it here I was just looking at today. On his website, he even
mentions adding the black dye to the varnish in some text. I had heard of doing
this before to help the core, etc. absorb heat from the coil. However, a
transformer for amateur service like used in most amps now should only be warm
to the touch and is the way every EI core transformer I wound ever acted, never
being hot enough to damage anything or burn you to the touch.

About mid way in the coil is where the heat builds up the worst. If it gets too
hot, where the wire makes the bends at the corners, it can make the insulation
crack and eventually fail. This was especially true in the older transformers
where the wire didn't have todays coatings. They actually make an insulation
paper with small sticks glued too it evrry so often to use just for this. It
allows an air gap for the heat to escape out of the windings. Large
transformers use sticks placed around the coil layers circumference for this
reason even if its oil cooled. That's one reason I prefer an open type
transformer without endbells, so the heat can come out. To me, endbells ought
not to be used unless for safety purposes. If a transformer gets overloaded a
good bit, it can just flat melt the wire in any place and a short takes place.
However, a lot of time this is the fault of the designer not using big enough
wire to handle the load.

I'm rattling on way too much about this, but figure some may get some benefit
from this discussion. Sorry about all the blabbing on.

Best,

Will