Re: [Amps] Hipersil, the myth and the truth. (Updated)

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Hipersil, the myth and the truth. (Updated)
From: Ian White G3SEK <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 18:56:49 +0100
G3RZP wrote:

>All very interesting, and useful info. But for some reason, nearly all
>the military stuff over here has, for years, tended to use 'C' cores. I
>can see the
> weight saving for aircraft stuff, but why would the Navy be so keen if
>there
> weren't other advantages?

The British Navy liked to run their C-core transformers in oil, in
two-piece pressed steel cans with ceramic feedthrough insulators.

You can argue this either way: either they used C-cores because they
were more compact, and fitted the shape of the cans better; or they ran
them in oil because C-cores get hotter.

>Or the Army, bearing in mind that 'portable' to them  tends to mean 3
>men and a truck?

There's no accounting for the Army...

--
73 from Ian G3SEK