Re: [Amps] Hipersil, the myth and the truth. (Updated)

To: G3rzp@aol.com, craxd1@ezwv.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Hipersil, the myth and the truth. (Updated)
From: Colin Lamb <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:49:22 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Peter asked:

"Can you think of a reason why, at least over here, the military especially
seemed for many years to go for C cores rather than the conventional E and  I?"

There is an implication in the question that the military would have chosen the
C cores because of some inherent quality.  I am not convinced that military
procurmenet decisions are always that rational.  Over here, some military
decisions have been proven to to be less than rational, and sometimes they are
even based upon politics.  So, when I saw your question, I wondered if the
manufacturer of Hypersil transformers in England had made campaign
contributions to the political party in office, or if someone had arbitrarily
determined that since the Hypersil transformers were more expensive, they were
better, since price is no object for the military.

I realize that it may be heresy to doubt the wisdom of  the English military,
but I recall a few details in the history books that raised a slight bit of
doubt.   And, our family tree shows similar questions were raised 300 years ago
when my family members left your country for the new world.  They never
mentioned Hypersil, however.

Colin  K7FM