Re: [Amps] Led display problem

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Led display problem
From: Ian White G3SEK <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:41:32 +0100
Steve Thompson wrote:
>On Tuesday 19 April 2005 08:51, G3rzp@aol.com wrote:
>> In a message dated 18/04/2005 22:31:16 GMT Standard Time, pegloff@gmail.com
>> writes:
>>
>> But a  bit more difficult to measure the other currents and voltages for
>> which  the reference et the cathode level.
>>
>> Has anyone an idea how to do that,  on a simple way ?
>Opto isolators? Some have a reasonable linear range, or you can use a second
>one and an opamp to correct any non-linearities.

Maxim make a range of current monitoring ICs for exactly this kind of
purpose. The two input terminals are connected by a low-value shunt
resistor, and can 'float' up to about 30V. Output is a voltage directly
proportional to the current, referenced to ground.

However, I agree with most others here, that a bargraph with only 10
LEDs is generally not the best way to monitor an amplifier - they can
hide useful information that a meter needle will show.

>With any of the suggested
>solutions, you'll need to take care to protect the monitoring circuit under
>fault conditions.

Details are on Rich's website, and in the Triode Board manual which is
downloadable from my site:
www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/boards

--
73 from Ian G3SEK