[Amps] Transformer core material

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Transformer core material
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:15:24 -0400
Not to beat a dead horse, but I figured I'd post the link below to AK Steel
(Armco). They manufacture a good portion of the electrical steel used in the
U.S. (and one mill are about 15 miles below the house ;-)  ). Anyhow, the pdf
documents they have are very good in explaining the types of steel from I think
M47 to M2 and the Tran-COR materials. Tran-COR is better than M2 for losses and
similar to the Permendurs, etc. M2 in CRGO is the very top of the heap for the
M type AISI numbered steels and M50 is about the lowest and is next to plain
cold rolled steel. As the M number goes up, so does the losses and the silicon
content drops. The Armco papers explain the use of silicon and where it helps
with losses, eddy currents, and residual magnetism. They are very educative and
I would highly recommend the read as they are not so technical to be over
everyone's head. I think after the read, about all will see what I have been
talking about, plus have a very in depth understanding
 of the what's and why's. Anyhow, I hops some find this useful and a good read.

Best,

Will