Re: [Amps] Resistors

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Resistors
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:33:12 -0400
Colin,

In a lot of scrap yards they have what's known as alligator shears to cut steel
scrap with. These cut bar stock maybe 1" thick or more like a knife through
paper. All that I've seen use C-660 bronze bearings because of the longevity.
They all generally have an oiler on each sleeve. On most milling machines, the
gibs are bronze for this reason. You would think an alloy of brass and iron
would be week but in reality, that's what's used for heavy loads. Most shaded
pole fan motors use a sintered bronze which has had graphite impregnated into
it. These can run for a good while like you say, even if they go dry of oil.
The same goes with most smaller motors used in blowers, etc, up to about 2 HP.
They use the same sintered bronze, graphite impregnated type. Some have a
spiral groove inside which looks like a figure 8. This is oil paths to
lubricate the shaft. This just goes to show that something more complicated
aint mo-better.

Best,

Will