Re: [Amps] Need chimney material info

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Need chimney material info
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 23:34:21 -0400
Ron,

You can also use paper electrical tubing ( if you can find the right I.D.), or
thick fish paper about 30-40 mils thick. The temperature rating for fish paper
is within what the tube runs at normally plus some. Keep in mind it is used as
insulation on hot running transformers and motors. Just roll up a piece as long
as you want it. Make the I.D. about 1/8" larger than the tubes radiator.
Actually, tight fitting chimneys dont let the outside ring of the radiator to
receive any air. The small 1/16" gap all around gives more cooling surface this
way. To mount it, they make some small brass angle brackets available from
Mouser and Allied. Put about 2-3 around the bottom circumference and use screws
to hold it to the chassis. You can use screws or pop rivets through the paper
to hold the brackets, or even glue them on. This stuff is real easy to glue up
and stays using cyanoacrylate (super glue). The problem with using silicone is
joining the seam. Some I've seen tried using Permat
 ex sealant, and some used staples as it's hard to bond silicone with standard
glues. You can find small rolls of fish papaer most of the time cheap on eBay.

Best,

Will