Re: [Amps] questions on my tranformer test

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] questions on my tranformer test
From: "Will Matney" <craxd@engineer.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 02:30:15 -0500
William,

Yes there is a long drawn out formula to figure temperature rise and the
appromimate temperature it will run at. The problem is it isn't real exact as
the construction has a lot to do with it, especially if it's potted in a hard
block of expoxy, the tightness of the windings, etc.  What it takes into
account is the heat rise in the wire by it's size, number of turns per layer,
number of layers, the mean diameter of the winding in question, and the
insulation thickness of the paper between the layers, and the way it's made.
The formula works around an open type transformer where the heat can readily
escape the coil by natural convection, etc., with at least one open side of the
coil facing upwards (horizontal mounting). Without a computer program, it can
take a few hours to figure out, or at least it does for me, heh.

The coil gets its hottest at its center or at its mean radius for each winding.
The outside coil runs the coolest. The deeper you go in, the more layers they
are with insulation, the hottoer it will get in the center of the inner
winding. There's ways around this buildup of heat by using a 2, or 3 part
bobbin and winding one coil on the top half and one on the bottom half.
However, this raises the losses a little due to magnetic coupling where one is
not on top of the other like standard layer winding. Each coil will still get
the hottest in its center though or at its mean radius. Another trick is to use
the thinnest bobbin you can use between the inner coil and the core. This
allows more heat to be transformed into the iron and act as a heatsink. Heat is
the major killer of any indictor whether an inductor or transformer. The hotter
one runs, the shorter lifespan it will have. That's why I like running EI cores
over the cut cores. I hope to put this information up on the we
 bsite I started and also in the e-book I started.

The formatting from this e-mail at mail.com I have no control of. My main
e-mail still isn't right and using the one on the main server has not been
sending some off even though it shows it did. I'm trying to find an alternative
provider now.

Best,

Will

padding-left:5px;">----- Original Message -----