Re: [Amps] Magnetic shielding

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Magnetic shielding
From: "Will Matney" <craxd@engineer.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 10:04:37 -0500
Borislav,

I dont think coupling to the chassis is what is causing this to happen.
Microwave oven transformers use pretty cheap steel, and they most likely should
be ran around 12 kilogauss. Actually, any unknown steel should be ran around
this. The duty cycle wasn't set very high either on those. I think the problem
your having is still saturation. What you'll probably have to do is go back and
refigure the turns per volt using 12 kilogauss as the maximum flux density. The
shielding used was mainly to stop harmonics, etc. You can use a one layer
winding for this too. Just hook one leg to ground and leave the other open. If
it's connected, you'll have a short, even in using a piece of copper sheet or
foil. Let's say if it had one turn per volt, that would be 1 volt at a lot of
amperage or a shorted winding. This could cause one to saturate too. I have
mounted a many of transformer on a steel chassis and never had a problem of
having a big hum. If you think that may be the problem, mount
  the L brackets on top of some washers raising the core up off the chassis a
bit. A small air gap means a lot here. Another way is to take off the L
brackets. Get some extra long screws that hold the lams together. Run these
down through some aluminum standoffs which are long enough that to coil wont
hit the chassis. Then mount the transformer standing up on these
standoffs-spacers.

Formula;

N = V X 10^8 / 25.8 X F X f X a X B X s

B = V X 10^8 / 25.8 X F X f X a X N X s

N = Number of turns in the primary
V = Primary voltage
F = Form Factor or 4.44 for a sine wave
f = Frequency in Hertz
a = Core area in square inches
B = Flux Density ( use 12,000 here for Bmax and unknown )
s = Stacking Factor, probably 0.90 here and determined by the lam thickness and
steel type. It's range is from 0.85 to 0.95

That should give you the correct number of turns in the primary winding. Then
just figure the number of turns for the secondary from that as Np = Ns. Then
multiply Ns by 5% for losses and you'll be very close to the output voltage you
want. Remember that the primary is what determines everything including
saturation under no load. Saturation under load is caused by more wattage than
the core can handle. Hope this helps.

Best,

Will