[Amps] transformer shielding - mu metal source

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] transformer shielding - mu metal source
From: "nospam4me@juno.com" <nospam4me@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 15:54:58 GMT

"Some" of the thin metal shielding around video monitors and television sets is
made of a mu type metal.  I like to salvage that metal for use as shielding on
projects. One such application is the reduction of magnetic fields and hum
reduction on new projects.

cheers,
skipp

ps:  The microwave power transformer article is available free in the files
section of the: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rfamplifiers  group.

[paste]
Dear Boris,

This may not be entirely scientific, but I had a similar problem
using old television receiver transformers that made noise.

What I did was to put a 1/8" sheet of aluminum (or copper
if I could find some), just a bit larger than the transformer
footprint, under the transformer. I used machine nuts
both on top of and underneath the aluminum plate,
with flat washers and lockwashers in all sixteen positions.

My friends used to call this humming "Yarf" for some reason that
I can't remember, but it was a hurdle all of us who used to scarf
surplus xfmrs on Radio Row in NYC had to jump when building
HB gear.

Hal
W4HBM