Re: [Amps] Alpha Service Redux

To: <Amps@Contesting.com>, "Harold B. Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha Service Redux
From: "Gary Smith" <wa6fgi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 08:58:25 -0700
  From: Harold B. Mandel
  To: Amps@Contesting.com
  Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2005 6:27 AM

  In reading some of the recent posts about new
  shipping woes, some of the new developments
  in equipment-shlepping bear discussion:

  Many of you remember how both FedEx Express
  and UPS separately destroyed two of my amplifiers
  last year, and the resultant tales of woe regarding the
  Claims process.

  Since then, I've had to ship other equipment, but this
  time with different carriers and different preparation,
  which then proved successful.

  Firstly, ordinary handling (e.g., UPS/FedEx Exp/ USPS)
  is completely disregarded.  This leaves the trucking
  industry, with its LTL (Less-Than-Full-Load) freight
  handling abilities.

  Secondly, the equipment is crated with 3/4" plywood,
  seams glued and wood-screwed, with 1" X 3"
  firring strips on all edges, they themselves glued
  and wood-screwed. On the bottom of the crates are
  4" x 4" beams with a minimum of 24" space between
  inner surfaces. This way a 24" pallet jack can accommodate
  their movement.  The crates are lined with two different
  types of resilient material, and the equipment is wrapped
  in two layers of sheet plastic inside the resilient cradle.

  On the average, a crate minus the gear weighs in just
  under 100 pounds, but with a five to ten thousand dollar
  amplifier what's the big deal?

  I ship under Freight Class 100, (Label: "Mechanism")
  and tell the carriers it's okay to stack on top.
  The 3/4" reinforced crate will probably have
  cardboard boxes on it, and it will probably rate its own pallet.

  Cross country is two days, and my latest shipment is
  235 pounds, 14 cubic feet and costs $172.00. This is
  with FedEx Freight. Similar shipments have gone with
  Yellow Freight and Overnight Express Freight, all
  without any damage.

  There's a business called Craters and Freighters for those
  of you who do not have woodshop capabilities. They can
  build and pad a crate for any size of equipment.

  It's clear that UPS/FedEx Exp/USPS cannot or will not
  cater to the requirements of people needing to ship
  delicate apparatus. The competition is by Motor
  Freight companies. As long as the items are packed
  in a manner suitable to their environment they succeed
  in quality and timeliness where others clearly drop
  the ball.

  Respectfully,

  Hal Mandel
  W4HBM