Re: [Amps] Magnetic shielding 2 flux density

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Magnetic shielding 2 flux density
From: "Will Matney" <craxd@engineer.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:19:16 -0500
Borislav,

You also mentioned using 12 kilogauss might be to small and the wire takes up
the entire core. That very well could be and welcome to the world of
transformer design. Even though the math is correct, we have to select several
different core sizes sometimes to get the right one. However, that one has been
chosen before for a certain amount of wattage. You may try raising the flux
density to 13,000 or 13,500 gauss as this is within M-19 or M-22. M-6 you could
use up to 15 kilogauss. However, since we dont know what the material is, I'd
start with the lower values. As a rule of thumb, 12 kilogauss is used for any
unknown steel lams that will be encountered. It takes into consideration plain
cold rolled steel. If I recall, appliance transformers and motors use something
like M-50 which is about as low as you can go. That would have the lowest
maximum flux density too. I highly doubt it being on the higher end like M-6
over the cost. M-6 is only used for top end transformers which
  need a high efficiency. The power companies use this in the pole pigs, some
high end electronics equipment, and some amateur radio transformers (Hipersil).
Hope this helps but Transformer desin is sort of a cut and try process.

Best,

Will