[Amps] HP manuals on the web + loan your manuals to Agilent.

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] HP manuals on the web + loan your manuals to Agilent.
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 22:17:38 +0100
There has been some discussion on most electronic related newsgroups and
mailing lists including (I think) here about Agilent's position on
people putting HP manuals on the web.

I'm now listed on the Agilent website as someone who can supply manuals
(one of only 14, so I suspect most on eBay selling CDs are doing it
illegally).

http://www.home.agilent.com/cgi-bin/pub/agilent/library/cp_LibraryFAQDetail.jsp?NAV_ID=-11145.0.03&LANGUAGE_CODE=eng&OID=536932189&ID=1000002849%3aepsg%3afaq&COUNTRY_CODE=US

This permission now *includes* distribution by the web, whereas
permission I got before that, excluded the web.

I've only got the one (HP 5370B), which I make available for free. I
have no intension of making my living by selling them, although someone
was so pleased to get that manual, he insisted on sending me a bottle of
very nice wine, which managed to make it from Switzerland to England in
one piece.

But I thought I'd just clarify the situation, as I know it was about 2
months ago (i.e. after Agilent asked sites, including BAMA to remove the
manuals).

If you want to make manuals available by paper, CD, DVD or the web for
"unsupported" HP or Agilent products, you can do so. But you need to get
a license to do it legally. (Note, discontinued does not necessarily
mean unsupported).

Getting that license involves no more than asking Agilent, they send you
a letter by pdf file to sign, you send it back and are given permission.
There is no charge for this, but you can charge for the manuals if you
want.

Whilst the permission I have does not state application notes are
included, I asked about these and was told this was OK in a digitally
signed email. I might put a couple of HP application notes I have on
step recovery diodes at some point, as I sometimes get asked for them.
It's a shame these application notes can't be found easily now.

I will not post the email address of who to contact in Agilent. But her
name is Libby. If you drop me an email, I'll sort out her email address,
but it will not be for a couple of weeks, since I did all this from
work, not from home, and can't easily access the contents of my eamil
there.

LOANING AGILENT MANUALS

This appeared on a mailing list I subscribe to. Dave Cunningham at
Agilent is wanting HP manuals to scan and put on the web. A list of the
manuals wanted is at

http://www.speakeasy.org/~jmiles1/ke5fx/manuals_needed.htm

If you have a manual in PDF format, or paper format and are willing to
loan it to Agilent, then let Dave know - dcunningham (at) agilent.com. I
don't know how up to date that list is. Others have said all manuals are
in Agilent, but with a huge company like that, nobody can know what is
happening at all other sites. But I am sure if someone has done a decent
job of scanning a manual and converting to pdf, Agilent would rather not
repeat the process.

David Kirkby, G8WRB.