Re: [Amps] Cheap network analyser on eBay

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Cheap network analyser on eBay
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 01:23:53 +0100
Ian White GM3SEK wrote:

>>I have quite an admiration for HP and their instruments and often feel
>>their used kit is better value than the cheap junk on the ham market.
>>But that N2PK device is clearly not "cheap junk".
>>

> Oh no, it's a very clever device. The concept has been around for some
> time, but N2PK has really made it work. As for accuracy, comparisons
> with commercial VNAs run very close indeed.
>

>>BTW, has anyone got the N2PK borad working under UNIX/Linux? Seems a
>>shame if you need a Windoze PC to use it.
>

> I'm not aware of any Unix/Linux versions of the control software.

Shame that. I assume if the source code for the software is available,
then doing it would not be hard.

>>Also, I'm not sure how much longer parallel ports will be on PCs.
>>

> Fortunately there are still lots of parallel printers around, so there's
> still a need for the parallel port.

I suspect 99% (if not all) new printers are USB or ethernet, and not
parallel. I have an inkjet here which is parallel. For some reason it
now prints rubbish, but the self tests pass OK. I'm not sure if the
software on my Sun has got screwed up, or if the printer's interface is
screwed up - it could be the cable too. But if/when I replace it, I'l
buy an ethernet one.

> G8KBB has also developed a USB
> interface.

Sounds more futureproof, but futureproof in the PC world does not last
long!!

Personally for me, parallel would be better as my old Sun has that, but
does not have USB, and I have no free PCI slots.

I'll have to take a look at the design - not that I have any immediate
plans to build one.

--
David Kirkby,
G8WRB