[Amps] Kenotron tubes???

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Kenotron tubes???
From: Borislav Trifonov <bdt@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 13:36:00 -0700
I got some antique kenotron tubes, but from what I can tell they are just high
voltage rectifiers. Anyone here old enough to know if there's any difference
between other tube rectifiers and kenotrons, or it's just a different name?

They are pretty large, thick HV insulator-style ribbed glass body and labeled
General Electric KR-9. They come from an old X-ray machine, but I don't have
any ratings on them.  I'd like to figure out the heater voltage and current,
and the max the plate can handle (I do intend to use them for an X-ray supply).