Re: [Amps] Determining Filament Voltage Specifications ??

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Determining Filament Voltage Specifications ??
From: "Will Matney" <craxd@engineer.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 18:38:29 -0500
Ron,

There is a formula to estimate regulation but it's long and drug out, or what
I'd call the long formula. An estimate is a voltage drop of 11% to 14%. I
always use 12% myself and it generally comes out pretty close. Divide the
no-load voltage by 1.12 and that would be it.

To determine the power capacity, there's a simple formula which will get you in
the ballpark for 12 kilogauss iron at 60 Hz. It is determined by the cross
sectional area in sq. inches of iron in the core.

P = A / 0.16 ^2

A = 0.16 X Sqrt of P

P = Power in watts. In a single phase power transformer Volt Amperes (VA) =
Watts

A = Cross sectional area of the core in square inches.

However, the wire the coil is wound with has to be big enough for the load and
the duty cycle.

Best,

Will