Re: [Amps] Conversion Nightmare

To: craxd1@verizon.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Conversion Nightmare
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 10:07:18 +0200 (CEST)
Getting back to something to do with amplifier building, to my mind, one of the
abominations of the metric system is the ISO metric thread. Even the ISO metric
coarse is far too fine a thread for many applications, especially tapping into
aluminium, or heavens forbid, that horror to work, copper. UNF and UNC or BSW
and BSF are far better in this respect, while for small screws, the US threads
are good. Incidentally, does anyone know why the standards apparently changed
from something like 4-36 to 4-40 in about 1950 or so? I also do not understand
why we had to stop using the BA thread, which is actually a metric thread
anyway, developed originally by the Swiss!  And because of the 47-1/2 degree,
somewhat stronger than 60 degree threads.
I know you can use coil inserts, but that seems to me to be adding unnecessary
complication  for the sake of using something that is not right for the job.
Interestingly, the model engineering people are firmly wedded to BA: one
advantage is apparently that the odd numbers tend to have heads that are
relatively close to scale.
One day, I must get around to getting a die to match  my 5/16 left hand
Whitworth tap......

73

Peter GW3RZP/P