Re: [Amps] Conversion Nightmare

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Conversion Nightmare
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 04:37:59 -0400
Pete,

A lot has to do with the lathe manufacturers and how the gears are set up for
thread turning. This includes the screw machines too. Sometimes, there's just
not any way to put all those different ratios in a gearbox and make them work.
Then you'd end up maybe with one special machine just for 1-2 types of thread
where nobody would invest in it. The one nobody hardly ever fools with and
tries to change is the acme thread. The reason why is most inch measurement
gear teeth is formed around this for rack gears having a 14-1/2 degree pressure
angle. It is also one of the best designs for load lifting in screw jacks. Now
there are the metric gears too that use the module system, and another termed
stub tooth gearing. This goes back into lathes as the same acme screw is used
for the feed screw in the lathe. So the gear set has to match the feed screw
for the ratios. That's my guess on why some have dropped out of being.

Best,

Will