Re: [Amps] FW: AMERITRON AL-1500 ????

To: "'Jose M. Valdes R. YV5LIX'" <yv5lix@cantv.net>,<amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] FW: AMERITRON AL-1500 ????
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 12:57:55 -0400
Jose,

The AL-1500 has a slightly undersize output circuit and may melt
the coil if you try to run "full soup" on RTTY.  Other than that
- as you have noticed - it is a relatively good value for the
money.

There will be some who claim that the amplifier is unstable -
far from it.  If Ameritron have not changed the design and it
is built with good, low impedance ground on the screen , the
amplifier is very stable.

A significant problem with the 8877 is the ability to easily
overdrive the tube.  An 8877 takes about 60 watts of drive to
reach 1500 watts out.  Your FT-1000MP/MKV will drive the pants
off the tube!   Be very careful about drive levels and tuning
to keep the grid current below about 60 mA ... otherwise the
tube is in danger (Eimac recommends 100 mA max for the grid).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV (ex K4IK)