Re: [Amps] RF Parts OEM 3-500ZG's

To: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] RF Parts OEM 3-500ZG's
From: Joe Isabella <n3ji@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 23:26:14 -0700 (PDT)
I'm 99% sure they are Taylors.  I bought a matched pair of the RFP tubes with 2
year warranty about 3 years ago.  At that time, they told me the two brands are
produced at the same time, but the RFPs are cherry picked so there's less of a
risk on the extended warranty.  It was worth the extra $10 to me for the
extended warranty.  I had them in a TL-922 first after the poor plate welds on
the Eimacs sent my Plate V to the grids and took out the grid chokes.  I've
seen this many, many times now -- I will NEVER pay twice as much for an Eimac
3-500Z.  I now have the exact same tubes in a Henry 3K-A, and they take all the
abuse I give them and just keep making power.  I frequently run AM, and have
had them as red (orange?) as an electric range heating element on High.  Never
had an inkling of a problem, and when I do finally run them over the edge, I'll
buy another set of RFP 3-500ZGs.  With 4kV on them, they will easily exceed 2kW
output with 100W.  I'm sure with more drive they'
 ll make
 even more power, but I typically drive it with 70-80W to keep it legal.  I
have no experience with the Amperex tubes, but I've read that they take a
little more drive to achieve the same power out as the Taylors/RFPs.

Joe, N3JI

Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com> wrote:
I just bought a used Ten-Tec Centurion on behalf of a friend. We
both were under the mis-informed belief that it would be equipped
with Eimac 3-500ZG's. Instead it has a matched pair of RF Parts
branded PRC manufactured 3-500ZG's. Anybody know the track
record of these tubes compared to the Amperex 3-500ZG (made
in France?) or the ones Eimac used to make?

Thanks,