Re: [Amps] TV sweep tubes and 6146s

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] TV sweep tubes and 6146s
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:43:23 +0200
I would tend to agree with Peter.

The surplus 813 is probably one of the available tubes with best W/$,
but a factor may be the cost of the HV power supply.

This is one of the problems with most inexpensive power tubes,
they either require a fairly high HV potential or forced cooling.

I recall what probably was the most inexpensive PA I ever made; a 2 x 813
single-band amp for 80m
[used in 1979 as an IPA (!) ]. Total cost: 200 SEK (approx. 50 USD today) , of
which the ex-microwave oven power transformer (95 SEK + carriage) took half.

If a prospective builder already has the HV power supply, it might be a better
choice to select tubes
after the voltages available instead of the other way around.

Finally a question to the list;

A TMC PAL-500 amplifier + PS recently followed me home.
Are there any chances of finding scanned schematics somewhere among the
distinguished membership?

73/
Karl-Arne
SM0AOM