Re: [Amps] TV sweep tubes and 6146s

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] TV sweep tubes and 6146s
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 06:26:12 -0400
Karl-Arne,

Just goes to show my guess was even high and I was trying to be low about it.
That get's it down to maybe 700 Vdc on the plates and that will probably not be
too good for IMD either. Plus at 800, the maximum dissipation was 10 watts over
and that's a lot for those tubes. I would about bet they would get hot enough
that their emission would be greatly decreased. I've never seen any of those
sweep type tubes last after cherrying up even once. After they do, and you try
them again, the emission falls off a good bit. Evidently it damages the cathode
permanently. That's about like the GLA-1000 that run 6LQ6's at 1200 Vdc. They
couldn't last any time at all. You can crank the plate voltage up a small
amount and get buy with it but any more and the life of the tube decreases. I
learned that the hard way years ago experimenting with sweep tube amps.

Best,

Will