Re: [Amps] Soft Start

To: r@somis.org, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Soft Start
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 18:31:55 EDT

By the time the relay starts buzzing the AC voltage is probably up to maybe
70% of maximum and the turn on surge is about over. The buzzing contacts then
will be shorting across the limiting resistor and the current is not nearly
as  high as when the surge begins. Still not a good way to do it though. The
d.c.  relay method you mention works just fine as does the timer module with an
AC  relay.

I guess I have a fascination with those solid state devices as I use a  timer
to activate a 40A solid state relay to perform the "shoring duty". A small
10A ssr is used for initial turn on and the 40A unit shorts around the limiting
 resistor and the small ssr. I have had no stuck relay death traps since
switching to the Solid State units.

Most of my amplifiers (vhf/uhf/shf) are tetrodes. They all have a  screen
grid trip circuit that opens the ptt circuit, killing the screen voltage  as
well
as opening up the control voltage to the Solid State relays so the plate
voltage is also killed asap.

73/k5gw

In a message dated 8/12/2005 4:21:54 P.M. Central Standard Time,  r@somis.org
writes:

On  Aug 12, 2005, at 10:42 AM, TexasRF@aol.com wrote:

> An  interesting characteristic of an AC relay is that it buzzes like
>  crazy  as
> the voltage ramps up to the value it needs to fully  operate.

That's why a DC coil relay is needed for  step-start.

Does hotswitching @ 60Hz sound okay to you?

Richard  L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734.   www.somis.org