Re: [Amps] [BULK] - Sierra Electronics 5kW load/meter

To: "'craxd1@verizon.net'" <craxd1@verizon.net>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] [BULK] - Sierra Electronics 5kW load/meter
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:02:38 -0700
I don't know this specific load, but the fact that the meter range switch
doesn't have any provision for "reflected" may well indicate that this unit
is not measuring power using a directional coupler, but rather as a
calorimeter, measuring thermal rise in the load.  If that's the case, there
would be no way at all to make it an "in line" instrument, since the only
way it would indicate is by dissipating power in the load and measuring
heat.

I'd recommend dismantling the thing to see where the meter is getting its
current from...

WB2WIK/6