Re: [Amps] [BULK] - Sierra Electronics 5kW load/meter

To: "Steve Katz" <stevek@jmr.com>, <craxd1@verizon.net>,<amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] [BULK] - Sierra Electronics 5kW load/meter
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:23:59 +0200
This load looks very similar to units that I came across in the 80's when
working for the Swedish military.

If it corresponds to this general type, it is a peak reading termination
wattmeter intended for
UHF pulse transmissions, and it is not intended to handle more than about 50 W
or so average power, corresponding to a max duty cycle of 1 %.

A 5 kW air cooled average load would be a very different creature, with lots of
cooling fins...

There are no simple ways to convert this unit to a "thru-line" wattmeter, as it
does not contain a directional coupler.

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM