Re: [Amps] caps SB200

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] caps SB200
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 12:13:20 -0400
Neal,

Is the new caps in the 220 the correct size? The caps helps with regulation and
if too small in value might possibly cause this. Seems to me like the
regulation on a 220 was about 15% if I remember. 2500 / 1.15 = 2173 Vdc. At
2100 it would be 2100 / 1.15 = 1826 Vdc. However that's a shade too low. The
transformer can only step up what comes into the primary. For 2500 Vdc, you'd
need 1768 Vac. That's a 8.04:1 ratio at 220 Vac. If it's the original
transformer making only 2100 Vdc, that would be 1485 Vac / 8.04 = 184 Vac from
the mains. That's not good at all and is a difference of 1.2 or 20% drop. The
power should change no more than about +/- 10% at the most.

If it's the line voltage sagging, you need to answer the following;

What size of wire do you have run from the breaker box to the amp? If this is
too small, there's a possible fire hazard if the wire got hot enough to burn. I
would want to see at least 12 ga. from the breaker back to the amp with only
the amp on the circuit.

Is anything else running at the same time like central air, etc., and maybe on
the same circuit?

How big is the transformer on the pole compared to what you use in the home?
Even though they say they're a 200 amp transformer, they're really under that.

How many other homes are using the same transformer? I found that here and made
them resize ours. We had 3 homes on one 200 amp transformer!

Best,

Will