Re: [Amps] plate choke

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] plate choke
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:28:22 -0400
On 8/26/05 at 4:00 AM R.Measures wrote:

>On Aug 26, 2005, at 12:48 AM, Alex Eban wrote:
>
>> The main problem stems from the 160 meters operation!
>> For the higher bands, chokes are usually in the range of 68 to 100
>> microhenries. These are easily wound in a solenoid manner and if you
>> space
>> wind the last 20 turns or so, chances are you get a choke without
>> resonances
>> in the ham bands. On the other hand for 1.8 MHz operation the coil
>> inductance goes up in the millihenry range: a lot of turns, crammed
>> together. This is prone to parasitic resonances and usually you will
>> find
>> that the better amplifiers DO NOT include the top band, or else, they
>> have
>> some queer arrangement, like two chokes in series or some oddly wound
>> choke.
>> I remember very well the one made by Barker and Williamson , wound in
>> sections, each on of a different number of turns.
>
>I tested this idea by winding two chokes,   One had a continuous
>single-layer, and one had various gaps as per the Handbook.    The
>inductances were about the same and, to my surprise, so were the
>resonances.  This led me to conclude that end-to-end coils do not
>decouple unless the gaps are quite substantial.
>--   For maximal decoupling, chokes need to mounted at right-angles.
>--   For maximal coupling, chokes need to be mounted end-to-end.

Exactly! I always thought those coils were still way too close together to do
any good. The gaps are only around 1/4-1/2" apart. The theory I'd say is
correct, but the design was wrong. That can be proven using a dip meter running
either paralell or at a right angle to a coil under test. At a right angle, the
dip meter wont couple and work.