Re: [Amps] CW and High Voltage

To: "'R.Measures'" <r@somis.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] CW and High Voltage
From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 16:15:44 -0500
> Most of the manuals that I have read give instructions that say to
> reduce drive during tuneup.  Do you agree with this procedure?

I didn't, Rich, until 200-400 watt transceivers started hitting the market.
My 3CX3000A7 and your 8171 would not be affected, but 400 watts into some of
the popular smaller tubes might not be prudent. There can be no general rule
to cover all circumstances, due to the increasing largeness of exciters, and
increasing delicacy of some of the smaller newer vintage tubes. Most amp
manufacturers did not consider anything over a 100 watt exciter when they
wrote their manuals years ago. Interoperability is the name of the game as
we upgrade our stations. When I started operating Harris RF-110's here, I
just inserted a 30 db pad between my exciter and the Harris, so that when I
do stupid things no damage is done. No-tune, 1.8-30 mhz, with idiot
protection is a pretty nice way to go for an old man!

(((73)))
Phil Clements, K5PC