Re: [Amps] Query: AC Switching of High voltage

To: <Amps@contesting.com>, <w2cqm@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Query: AC Switching of High voltage
From: "k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 06:44:33 -0700
Hi Ron:

There are two different timing circuits used on the 76A.  I converted one of
my amps to use 3CX800A7 tubes and simply added capacitance to easily get 3
minutes.

One problem with the mercury relays is that they can be activated when the
amp is put on the side.  This could be a safety issue for the unwary.

Switching the high ac voltage adds a new dimension to design.  And, it does
not solve all the problems.  The original control circuitry prevents drive
from being applied until 3 minutes.  By just switching the high voltage and
leaving the original control circuitry, the transceiver could be powered up
after a minute and you would dump 100 watts into the cathode of the tubes
with no plate voltage - not good.

73,  Colin  K7FM