[Amps] 4CX15,000A screen PS

To: amps@contesting.com, rfcrazy@cox.net
Subject: [Amps] 4CX15,000A screen PS
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 08:27:25 -0600
Chris
The Continental 816R series FM broadcast rig has a variant with
4CX15,000A. I assume you didn't mean 4CX1500A. At their website
http://www.contelec.com/ go to support, then look for manuals and
download the training manual for this. You might find the screen
power supply details there. CEC uses the trick of grounding the
screen and putting negative screen V return and postive grid bias
return on the filament of the tube, with an isolated filament
transformer. It is conventional grid driven tetrode operation, but
better stability via the excellent screen grid grounding for RF.

Otherwise, the screen power supply for such tetrodes (and the
4CX10,000 and 4CX20,000 series) is quite conventional, most use a LC
filter, single phase power supply (or three phase) and FWbridge
rectifier. Most are not regulated in the broadcast FM rigs (class C)
and just have a stiff bleeder resistance across the output of the PS.

73
John
K5PRO