[Amps] AL-80A "spitting" on 80m, Relay problems.

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] AL-80A "spitting" on 80m, Relay problems.
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:54:36 -0400
I used my AL-80A during the recent NA Sprint. I found that when I
went to 80m, it was difficult to tune to more than 300 watts without
exceeding 150 ma of grid current. After a few minutes, I also heard a
"spitting" sound in time with the CW coming intermittently from
either the amp or the tuner. I also saw the VSWR indicator on the
KAT100 moving around. Thinking there might be arcing or some other
problem, I turned the amplifier off.

I also had a problem with the relay sticking when returning to
receive -- signals were greatly attenuated. Transmitting again would
restore the receiver, although there were a couple of times it took
several transmissions.

Any ideas or suggestions?

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901