Re: [Amps] AL-80A "spitting" on 80m, Relay problems.

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-80A "spitting" on 80m, Relay problems.
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:53:28 -0400
On Sep 12, 2005, at 10:32 PM, Tom Rauch wrote:

> The relay contacts are probably dirty or it is the wrong
> relay . The AL80A relay should have the NC center contact
> either removed or bent out of the way.

I'll check this. Mr. Measures suggested reversing the coil wires --
I'm not sure what good that would do, unless the relay frame has
become permanently magnetized....

Some one else warned me that I may be hot-switching, since I'm NOT
using CW PTT. I'm thinking of using the K6XX circuit to speed up the
relay closure (and slow the release).

> The spitting is either a bad part like a bad or burnt plate
> on a capacitor, misaligned relay contacts (the load contact
> should mechanically close slightly before the input contact)
> , or you have it loaded too lightly on 80. Sounds like it is
> loaded too lightly. Open the load control up more.

I've seen this discussion of loading -- what was the definition of
"lightly" loading? Does it mean there's too much or too little
capacitance on the loading control?

Should I favor more or less capacitance here? Seems like the old tube
rigs I used always started with the loading cap fully meshed, and
then gradually opened it. But, the SB-401 switched in an array of
fixed capacitors switched in, so the loading cap barely changed from
band to band so long as you had a 50 ohm load.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901