Re: [Amps] Teflon isolation ?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Teflon isolation ?
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@ic24.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:43:39 +0100

Patrick Egloff wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does anyone know the maximum voltage that can be applied to a sandwich
> isolated by a 0.5 mm thin Teflon sheet ??
>
> It's to be used in a 144 Mhz anode line.
I've just tried a piece with dc hipot. At 14kV an airgap of about 8mm
sparks over, so that's the limit of test with the sample I have.

I've had problems with minute bits of swarf puncturing the ptfe and
causing breakdown, and I've read articles describing how air pockets can
cause breakdown too. I find 0.8mm ptfe pcb with the copper removed works
really well as an alternative.

Steve