Re: [Amps] Alpha 87A Question

To: jon s <k9js_j@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 87A Question
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 22:30:50 +0100
jon s wrote:
> I am relaying this for my Father (AI9U) who does not subscribe
>
> Last night he was back at his station after a 10 day period of non-use
>
> FT920/Alpha 87A/3 ele Steppir/40_80 Dipole
>
> With the Amplifier Off - but still in line he was using the tuner to match
> the dipole, when an "incredible bang" (his words) occured in the amplifier,
> tripping the 220V breaker. Upon reseting the breaker, the Alpha powered up
> but would not do much else
>
> Anyone ever have something like this happen?
>
> I'm wondering how in the world it could have happened with the power switch
> Off.
>
> Anyone care to speculate on a cause?

Parasitic oscillation!! They get blamed for everything on here, but
perhaps even they are not that troublesome.

Is sounds like something has probably shorted the incoming mains supply
to me. I suspect a look will soon find the marks of something having let
the magic smoke out.
--
David Kirkby,
G8WRB