Re: [Amps] Alpha 87A Question

To: jon s <k9js_j@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 87A Question
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 16:01:01 -0700
On Sep 17, 2005, at 1:50 PM, jon s wrote:

> I am relaying this for my Father (AI9U) who does not subscribe
>
> Last night he was back at his station after a 10 day period of non-use
>
> FT920/Alpha 87A/3 ele Steppir/40_80 Dipole
>
> With the Amplifier Off - but still in line he was using the tuner to
> match the dipole, when an "incredible bang" (his words) occured in the
> amplifier,  tripping the 220V breaker. Upon reseting the breaker, the
> Alpha powered up but would not do much else
>
> Anyone ever have something like this happen?

Hello, Jon -- Around 40% of the owners I surveyed reported inexplicable
sudden events that required factory service to correct.  When Dick.
WØID was a participant on AMPS. he told me he had seen over 150 tubes
at the Alpha factory that had gold-sputtering damage.  Perhaps one of
the tubes has this malady.  The Funderberg (W6IHA) test for
gold-sputtering is non-destructive and simple to perform - provided one
has a hi-pot tester.   If you do not have a hi-pot, I volunteer to test
the tubes for you - gratis - in the interest of amplifier science.

The Funderberg test:
http://www.somis.org/Goldmeltballs.html