Re: [Amps] Alpha releases New Amp 9500

To: w4kv@arrl.net, amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha releases New Amp 9500
From: "Steven Grant, W4IIV" <stevengrant98@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 21:03:21 -0700 (PDT)
way I see it....... if you are willing to pay $5,000.00 for an amp, you can
afford $500.00
for a new computer
think about it.
Steven W4IIV
John Adkins <w4kv@yahoo.com> wrote:
Actually, the point that I'm trying to make is that new technology should be
new technology. I
don't object to the amplifier having a serial port. I'm disappointed that it
doesn't have a USB
port. Or a firewire, though 1394 hasn't supplanted USB (yet?). The firmware
certainly could
support both. Regarding ethernet control, I think that's a fabulous idea!

The point made by WRB that RF performance is critical is quite valid. My SB-220
is very reliable,
and its performance is excellent. The alpha costs about 15-20 times as much as
what I would spend
on the oldie. Why buy the Alpha at all? (If you're interested in a reportedly
unused 87A,
http://search.ebay.com//search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=alpha+87a )

"In matters of taste, there is no dispute."

John
w4kv

STEVEN GRANT    W4IIV