Re: [Amps] Alpha releases New Amp 9500

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha releases New Amp 9500
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:40:41 +0100
Jan Erik Holm wrote:

> Keith Dutson wrote:
>
>>The issue for me is speed, not legacy.  RS-232 has become obsolete for
>>amateur radio.  Aleady my Orion requires way too much time to upgrade the
>>software.
>>

> How long does it take?

And furthermore how often does one need to update the software? If it
takes 15 minutes (which I doubt) and new software releases are released
every month (which I doubt), it is not really a problem? Just set it
running, have a coffee and come back to it.

I use a Texas Instruments DSP card which uses RS-232 to download the
programs. When developing on that, it is a real pain, as one tends to
re-write the code every few minutes and the 40s or so it takes to
download is a pain.

But on something where you update the software someone else has written
on an infrequent basis, a few minutes to upload software every now and
then is not a big deal (well to me anyway).

--
David Kirkby,
G8WRB

Please check out http://www.g8wrb.org/