Re: [Amps] Low power output from 4-400A linear

To: "Bruce Lanning" <blanning@acadia.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Low power output from 4-400A linear
From: Scott Townley <nx7u@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:03:22 -0700
Numbers according to Eimac in parentheses:

  Measured power out: 855 watts  (1200)
  Power input: 1216 Watts (1980)
  Ep:3200 Volts   (3000)
  Ip: 380 Ma.( at max output)  (660)
  Ig: 250 Ma.            (200)
  Eg: Bias 00            (0)
  Static Ip: 120 Ma.     (140)

PS that would all be with 80 watts drive.

Not an expert, but sounds like the plate impedance is too high.  That would
give low Ip and high Ig.  According to the datasheet it should be ~2500
ohms for two in parallel.
Really the question is, what's the screen current?  I would think that even
in g-g/triode-connected service the screen current is a key indicator.

I don't recall the exact bits but the 850A isn't tapped correctly as-is
from the factory.  Obviously it will resonate with the right tune-C but the
Q is way off from what you normally shoot for.