Re: [Amps] Dedicated 220AC Wiring for Amps..

To: "'Gary Schafer'" <garyschafer@comcast.net>,"'K Van Horn'" <k7ec@sbcglobal.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Dedicated 220AC Wiring for Amps..
From: "Alex Eban" <alexeban@bezeqint.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 13:40:35 +0200
Hi guys:
So much talk on the grounds that I feel compelled to add something.
Years ago-quite a few by now- we've been taught to place a copper strip
along the operating table and connect it to both electrical ground for
safety AND to RF ground, well, for RF grounding.
The gospel was also to place a copper or aluminum plate at the point the
cables enter the shack, put bulkhead feed throughs on it and pass all the
cables from the antennas through these. Of course, the whole thing is again
connected to the RF and safety grounds. One forgotten piece of information
was that old spark plugs make quite effective spark gaps to protect the open
wire feeds when screwed onto the same plate: they're nice as stand offs as
well as protectors. Living on high ground, I've seen them jump a spark quite
often in winter time and have protected my TS 140 quite well until now. BTW,
the best protectors for coax are the Huber-Suhner, a Swiss company and the
Polyphaser. The spark lugs are very nice for control and rotator cables.
Alex    4Z5KS