Re: [Amps] 3-500z

To: "sb200" <sb200@optonline.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500z
From: "Mike Schatzberg" <cherokeehillfarm@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 23:55:38 -0400
Hello Chris:

You could wire the transformer for 240 volts, and plug the amp into 120 VAC,
and let it heat the filaments for a while.  The low voltage should be fine
for the triode and its type of filament.  Maybe try 3 hours or so, and check
your metering for any abnormal current flow, and look at the tube glow.

Then, if you have 240 VAC available, connect the amp to that voltage, and
let it continue for maybe 8 hours, checking everything again.  If all is
well, apply drive sparingly, and watch that the output moves upward smoothly
as more and more drive is applied.  I'm not sure how strong the power supply
is in that unit, but if your Eimac tube outputs 1 KW or so, that should mean
your good to go.

73 and Happy Dxing,

Mike
WB2AJI