Re: [Amps] Is This 4CX1600B Still Good?

To: "Dennis" <pegasus@mho.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Is This 4CX1600B Still Good?
From: "k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 09:14:02 -0800
"I'm not sure, but 2.3 ohms on a cold filament of a tube that size seems a
bit high.
I've never measured the cold resistance on a 12 volt filament transmitting
tube,
(only 5 or 7 volt tubes) but it still seems a little high.  I'd try the
temperature
test like the previous poster mentioned."

The actual resistance is not material.  Filaments are basically, either open
or shut.  If you measure resistance, they are not open.  Many of the
inexpensive meters have at least a few tenths of ohms of resistance in the
leads and often the connection will add resistance.  So, whether it measures
1 ohm or 3 ohms, it means the filament is good and you can move on to the
next step in the investigation.

Happy Thanksgiving,  Colin  K7FM