Re: [Amps] difference between 2,3,4 and 43, 45, ... materials?

To: Bert <balmemo@sympatico.ca>,'Jim Brown' <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] difference between 2,3,4 and 43, 45, ... materials?
From: Colin Lamb <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:02:07 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
"1. How to confirm that the cable TV system is leaking? (I don't have any
sophisticated equipment)."

It is pretty simple.  If you are interfering, the cable is leaking.  No real
equipment is needed.  That is assuming you are not overloading the television
set innards.

Easy to check.  Remove cable.  If interference has gone, it is the cable
system.  Since the cable is designed to be a closed system, it will neither
radiate or pickup - unless it is not assembled correctly.

Often, the connections are not tight.  Sometimes this is the fault of the
homeowner, when he adds cables.  Sometimes the cables are not tight outside.

There is a two way street, though.  If the shield is not intact, the cable will
radiate, and you can track it down with simple direction finding equipment, or
even a receiver, tuned to one of the channels in the cable network.

Often the cable company will try to pass off the problem as yours - but even if
you transmitter was the dirtiest transmitter around, with harmonics louder than
the fundamental, it should not get into the cable system unless the cable was
not intact.

Not sure what the Canadian wireless authority will do, but the ARRL publishes a
book on how to track down the problem.

When the cable company came to town many years ago, our amateur group spoke
with the police chief.  We often assisted him in events and even Halloween
patrol.  He wrote a letter to the cable company and told them that their
franchise was dependent upon not interfering with amateurs, and that if the
were any unsolved problems, their franchise was revoked.  We had excellent
cooperation from them and I still have spools of hardline out back that the
cable company gave to me.  Those were the days.

73,  Colin  K7FM