Re: [Amps] Parasitic suppressor resistor

To: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Parasitic suppressor resistor
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 08:47:31 -0800
On Jan 2, 2006, at 7:53 AM, Steve Thompson wrote:

> R. Measures wrote:
>
>> According to a Ham who telephoned me during the grate parasite debate,
>> who uses a computer program to design commercial amplifiers, the 8877
>> (C-fb = 0.1pF) does not need a parasitic suppressor if the anode
>> resonance can moved comfortably above 110MHz.  In practical terms,
>> using
>> 150MHz as a comfort target, this means that the total L between the
>> anode and the Tune-C needs to be under 110nH.   In other words, if an
>> 8877 amplifier has an anode resonance of under 150MHz and it does not
>> use a VHF suppressor, it may be on the ragged edge.
>
> Did he (or she)

it was a dude.  Wimmen is too dam stuped to know much about RF.

> indicate whether the grid grounding and/or cathode
> impedance made any difference?

I don't think there was an entry field for grid grounding L.    Cathode
Z is fixed at c. 54-ohms, however, the Z of the cathode-ground path at
the parasite frequency would make a difference in how much feedback
arrived from the anode to the cathode through C-fb.

cheers, Steve