Re: [Amps] GS-35B Vertical Mounting & Input Impedance

To: "'Mike'" <k4gmh@arrl.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] GS-35B Vertical Mounting & Input Impedance
From: "peter.voelpel" <df3kv@t-online.de>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 03:34:09 +0100
Hi Mike.

Tubes with external anodes need plenty of air flow as well as back pressure.
I converted an AL1200 to GS35B and found the original blower insufficient to
cool that tube.
Don´t forget that those tubes anode core temperature must be limited to 200°
and the ceramics/seals to 120°, where Eimac specifies on their tubes 250°
and 200-250° respectively°.

A better way to reduce noise and that?s the way I prefer and do it, is to
use a large overrated blower and reduce its  speed by driving it with lower
voltage on it, when I have installed a 240V blower I feed it with 120-150V
via a variac or thyristor.
I do not believe that a smaller blower then that for the 4CX1600 will be
big enough.
We operate 2xGS35b push-pull in 2m contests and are really happy that the
blower is that large

73
Peter