Re: [Amps] Super buy on the Bay!

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Super buy on the Bay!
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 23:17:59 -0500
Mark,

Thanks, I knew I was kind of close, it's been a while since I was in one of
those. They mention 450 watts with a 2517. The 2517 is not a stock CB, it was
an export with a higher output power of around 20 watts PEP on AM. About 300 at
most for a stock CB using 5 watts out or so. That was why I mentioned they
would have done better with a third pre-driver stage. 5 watts feeding the
cathodes of four 6JT6's didn't put out much drive to those four 6LQ6's,
especially with 750 VDC plate voltage. The ham amps that used 6LQ6's like the
one Amp Supply made, and I think Ameritron had one used around 1100-1200 VDC.
That was really a little too much though as I found they ran the best at about
900 VDC. They called those a 1000 watt amp, but that was 1000 watts input.

What Ed tried to do was build amps with a high/low power. The low on most
builders just cut the plate voltage in half. What he did was have two driver
tank circuits and a series of relays to switch it over. On low, the four 6JT6's
went to the low tank and bypassed the finals on out to the antenna. On high, he
switched it over to another tank which matched the drivers to the finals. All
that wire stretched around to relays and to two tank circuits caused a bunch of
problems.

Best,

Will