Re: [Amps] SB-220 Mod for GS-35b

To: vk4ajs67@optusnet.com.au, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220 Mod for GS-35b
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 10:07:58 EST

In a message dated 2/5/2006 4:06:44 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
vk4ajs67@optusnet.com.au writes:

I wonder  if anyone has refitted a Heathkit SB-220 with a GS-35B to
replace the  3-500z tubes?

I wonder how it went and any info would be of great  help.

Cheers John  VK4AJS

Vk4ajs67@optusnet.com.au

I haven't done this with an Sb-220 but I did convert an Amertiron AL-82
using this and it worked.  The Sb-220 does not have a pressurized cooling
system,
but I suppose you can install the tube horizontally against the back  wall
and have an external blower attached, that is what I would do.  I  would not
expect any more power output than you would get from a pair of good  3-500's
using the power supply specs of the Sb-220.  The GS-35B likes  ALOT of plate
current.  I have found that in the AL-82 conversion using the  same power
supply,
the GS-35B made about the same power as the 3-500's for 100  watts input
power, maybe a shade more, but not much.  However, with more  drive I am sure
the
GS-35 will outperform the 3-500's, but how much more drive  does one have?  I
always base my homebrew amps or conversion amps with 100  watts drive, as that
is what most of us have available.  The GS-35B can  probably easily take up to
150 watts drive without surpassing the max grid  current, providing all else
is right.  Good Luck 73 lou  W1QJ