[Amps] Tek 7L12/14 s/a plug-ins TSPA

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Tek 7L12/14 s/a plug-ins TSPA
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 17:51:46 -0700
I have a 7623 storage scope and a 7603 scope. I replaced the 7623
once when it failed, and it is too difficult to work on and find
parts. So i have a parts unit in the shed I think (CRT at least). I
got mine from Western Test in Colorado, for about $150-200 each,
years ago. Not sure if they are around now, but check the ads in Nuts
and Volts for those sorts of old instruments. They used to be in
there.

About 8 years back, I bought a 7L12 at an auction in Albuquerque. It
was horrible, drifted, poor resolution BW, has no storage mode, and I
wasted my time and $ with it. I later found a 7L14 at another
auction, and got that. Much better, locks, doesn't require a
persistance scope for storage, having digital memory. I sold my 7L12
and got my money out of it. Now i use the 14 regularly. Later I got a
7L5 from WJ Ford Surplus in Canada, for work on baseband and MW
transmitters, up to 5 MHz and down to audio (and Tesla coil
frequencies). It came with the matching tracking generator which
takes one slot in the scope. Wonderful box. It is also digital memory
and has RBW which allows you to look at the hum sidebands on a
transmitter, from the powerline.

The 7L14, 7L5, 7L18 can all work in a standard 50-100 MHz 7600 series
scope, don't need fancy persistance phosphor screen. As a matter of
fact, you want the big 7603 CRT for these s/a to have beautiful
displays.

The 7L18 goes up to many GHz, as I remember the satellite technicians
in broadcasting used them. It doesn't go down into lower RF
frequencies however.

I recommend the 7L14 if you gotta have one that fits into an old
scope. Otherwise, save your money and buy a newer s/a that is
standalone. Just watch out, a 1 kHz RBW s/a is really poor
performance.

73
john
K5PRO