Re: [Amps] Transformer construction information

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Transformer construction information
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 01:32:59 -0500
Ok,

As promised, I'm going to give two sets of short formulas here for 50 and 60 Hz
transformers. These were calculated by using the long formulas at 12 kilogauss.
12 kilogauss is used as an in between so it can be used on CRGO or CRNO silicon
steel from say M-22 or M-6. M-19 and M-22 are Cold rolled non-oriented silicon
steel like used in most regular transformers of decent efficiency. M-8 to M-6
(actually on up to M-2) is Cold Rolled Grain Oriented silicon steel. M-6 and
Hipersil are the same alloy. M-6 is pretty expensive and on up to M-2 really
expensive. Most all power transformers are made using M-22, M-19, M-15, or M-6.
M-22 to say M-15 has a maximum flux density of around 15 kilogauss. However,
it's best to run them a good bit under this, especially the lower grades. 12
kilogauss is chosen as it's good if your using an unknown steel which could be
something like M-50 (but with higher losses). It works OK with M-6 too but the
core will be some larger. M-6 and Hipersil can
 be ran to a maximum of about 17 kilogauss, but after 15 kilogauss the
magnetizing current raises rapidly. So it's better to really run it at 15
kilogauss or under. Again the below formulas use 12 kilogauss;

For 60 Hz

TPV = 4.85 / A

A = 0.172 x sq rt of P

--------------------------------

For 50 Hz

TPV = 5.82 / A

A = 0.206 x sq rt of P

A = Core area in square inches
TPV = Turns per volt
P = Power in Volt Amperes or Watts if load is resistive.

Figure power transformers around 85% efficient, and use around 800 circular
mils per ampere on the wire size for say a duty cycle of 75%, and about 1100
circular mils per ampere for a 100% duty cycle. You may have to fudge around
the first core design to get all the coil to fit into the windows. Generally,
it's better to go to the next size larger lam to get a larger window, if the
coil wont fit in the windows, than to cut back the number of turns, and raise
the flux density. The insulation paper (fish paper) needs to be rated at least
100 volts per ever 2 mils thickness. Between each winding of the coil, and the
bobbin, use at least 0.020" thick paper. The paper between the layers of each
winding is sized by the voltage of each layer. Leave margins of at least 1/8"
at the top and bottom of the coil. I'll show the long formulas tomorrow if
wanted.

By the way, I found the old short formula listed in a lot of books to be off,
and not for 12 kilogauss. They always said approximately 12 kilogauss, but it
was actually for about 11,600. For 60 Hz those were;

TPV = 5 / A

A = 0.16 x sq rt P

Best,

Will