Re: [Amps] Sencore

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Sencore
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 00:40:23 -0500
John,

Are you saying Sencore compares with HP, ESI, or General Radio in impedance or
LCR meters? I have all four brands here, and there's a big difference in
precision and quality of manufacture to me. The only thing I know that Sencore
has on their LCR meter is a ringing test for flybacks which can be done using a
scope or a flyback tester, and capacitor leakage. If I recall, even the LC102
cant measure D and Q of a cap or a coil. The Sencore stuff is more suited to
the consumer repair industry, IE: TV and radio. When you get into manufacturing
passive components like caps, chokes, or resistors, a good top of the line LCR
meter like the brands I mentioned win hands down. Heck, even the small Leader
LCR-740 can measure D and Q. That's my point, why's these guys rushing to buy
these Sencore LCR meters for upwards of $600 used when there's good HP, ESI,
and GenRad equipment available for much less on ebay and other places? All I
can figure is the folks buying them have been mis-infor
 med, or don't know what is available out there for real professional use. To
me, for what Sencore is charging for a new LCR meter, and for no more than it
does, one of those hand held LCR meters for about $69 new will do the same
thing. I don't want to see any friends on here be taken and waste a huge amount
of cash for no more than their getting in the end.

Best,

Will