Re: [Amps] GS-35B Tubes Glow In The Dark

To: Tony King - W4ZT <amps080605@w4zt.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] GS-35B Tubes Glow In The Dark
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 03:35:36 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

At 09:58 PM 2/23/2006, Tony King - W4ZT wrote:
>We have already had some interesting discussions about how this glow is
>created and the best explanation we have come up with so far is electron
>bombardment of the ceramic causing trace elements to fluoresce.  If any
>of you have a better explanation (NOT that the tubes are gassy...
>they're not) I would love to hear about it.

Many tubes do this, including small receiving tubes. You will often
see a blue glow on the inside surface of the glass (not between the
elements, but on the glass itself). If the glow is between the
elements the tube is gassy, but that's not the case here.

The explanation I heard years ago was so-called "soft" x-rays are
produced when electrons bombard the anode and they in turn cause
various materials in the tube to fluoresce. Soft x-rays have little
penetrating power and are not considered harmful to humans.

73, Bill W6WRT